7 February 2011

On comments and reviews and accents?

This post would fit better on my other blog....but I've become reticent on that blog for different reasons and so I'll fit this here.

I've received a variety of comments and reviews on my ability and competence as an instructor. Some of the comments are funny and some are strange and some are just mean (she's a racist!) and some although seemingly mean I can recognize the facts in them (she writes on the board and I don't know what the arrows and arrows and more arrows mean...strangely enough the arrows and the writing have also made sense to some students; she gets flustered in class and talks about too many things and goes off on tangents).

However one comment is so funny and delightful - I have decided to share it. I laughed when I read it. I have got all sorts of comments about my accent: where do you come from? Where did you do your schooling? You have a different accent...I personally think I've got a mongrel accent. I can modulate it a bit when I'm careful and when I'm teaching but it lapses sometimes into a hotchpotch of an accent which it is anyway.

Anyway, one student: a very sweet young boy with a very disarming smile had written words to the effect of, ....has got a lovely accent. Her accent reminds me of Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music" !!!! Very embarrassed I was indeed.

I could write a mile long post here but I'll get going for now.

2 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Now that's really sweet!

Reminds me of the joke in Asimov's book: "When I meet an Englishman speaking verray pukka, I ask him 'Are you a foreigner?' and he replies, 'No I am English', I get back with 'I knew it the first time you spoke. You speak our English in a funny way' "....

Shilpi said...

Thank you lots for your comment, Suvro da.

I don't remember this joke by Asimov...I wonder whether I can somehow fit it in class now...And you've never heard me pronounce hypothesis when I'm not watching myself....It's quite a monstrous pronunciation.

That reminds me of when you said, 'first' over the phone the other day. I couldn't make out what you were saying because I've gotten used to hearing the Americans roll their 'rrrr's...I can't copy them and I never roll my rrrs (which was a problem when it came to my very brief stint with French) and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what you were saying! Apologies.

Thanks once again.