10 October 2009

Saturday late-noon


Got the goodies on the side from the Farmer's Market today. The local farmers sell their goodies some five blocks away - fruits, vegetables, breads, cakes, cheese, eggs, meat....every saturday (morning-ish), from late May till the last week of October. The coming weekend I might actually take a photo of the farmer's market - and put some comments by way of explanation.

The grapes were outstanding. There were more than double the number of grapes in the basket. I finished the ones that do not appear in the photo. I'd forgotten that grapes could taste so real, sweet and slightly sour at the same time, so flavourful, and so abominably good. Fuzzy, pearly purple on the outside and a translucent white on the inside. Two apples have been eaten as well (not by me) - two remain. The cake on the right, which does not look like much - I'll admit (it looks like some lumpy unsightly mass of half-baked dough) - is so pleasant and wholesome that it needs to be tasted to believed (I had err...more than half a cake last week - so I know). It's moist, soft and crunchy - all at the same time and it's not too terribly sweet. The uneven, ungainly '8' shaped hole in the front right-hand corner is there because I dug out a piece just to make sure that the cake could be consumed by the other human inmate of the house. The bread rolls in the back taste very good (either as grilled sandwiches or with some jam) but this particular batch has not been sampled as yet. They are challah rolls made I believe with some bit of honey.
Oh, and yes - some jam was bought too today and a cabbage roll. A jar of apricot jam, which is inside the fridge. The cabbage roll, filled with vegetables and minced pork (somewhat like a momo is how I'd describe it) is inside my tum'.

No comments: