9 October 2009

Oh dear!

I must say that I was very surprised and my brain fairly boggled when I saw the * BBC frontpage today. (*this isn't a link to the frontpage - since the frontpage changes everyday - it's a link to the main bit. The video is rather erratic in a funny way. The only thing that would play yesterday is the 32 second clip on 'Ardi' from the Discovery channel). I thought it was some sort of a prank but I've never known the frontpage of the BBC to be pulling pranks of any sort (unlike the Calcutta edition of The Statesman, which many years ago had pulled a hilarious prank, which wasn't a personal prank, and that was on April Fools Day. The BBC radio once did pull a prank in the 70s I think it was, on April Fools Day...but about that some days later!).

This instance (not a prank) comes very close to the instance when another gentleman was given the award for making a documentary. A documentary!

In the current instance I actually feel rather bad (and sorry for him actually) on a couple of counts at least. 1) It must be embarrassing (since he knows...) 2) His detractors are going to be laughing their pants off and will not stop jibing him for a while now.

But on another note: who knows what The Committee may yet do in the coming years? Award a to-be-writer who is very articulate and has a good imagination in the anticipation that she may write the grandest book ever?
Boy, oh boy.

No comments: