15 March 2011

Leigh Hunt's Poem and Time

I didn't know about this poem till last year, I think it was (or maybe the year before that?...), till the friend whose blogs appear on the right told me about it.

I started feeling rather jubilant about the poem after reading it the right way and I can't help let out a wry grin and a happy one as well (unless I'm staring away....) because I feel like both Jenny and Leigh Hunt...if that makes sense.

Jenny kiss'd me when we met,   
Jumping from the chair she sat in; 
Time, you thief, who love to get   
Sweets into your list, put that in! 
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,   
Say that health and wealth have miss'd me, 
Say I'm growing old, but add,   
Jenny kiss'd me. 

The poem suddenly came back to me even though it's been wandering around in my head for a while. I think some memories do seem utterly priceless - within the space and the time of the now - even when one is staring away at the computer screen and thinking and worrying and blinking about writing what has to be written as work and hoping that it sounds as it's meant to even while knowing that it has to, and about the other...I found out today that Holi is around the corner...and here I was wondering whether the Bengali New Year was about to be coming around this month!

Spring Break is on the run and my sense of time has gotten somewhat messy. We have also sprung forward by an hour since Sunday but I obmutaciously refuse to set my clock straight. The only clock in the house which reads the right time is the computer clock!

2 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, Shilpi.

Yes, I too have sometimes walked with the gods.

Shilpi said...

Thank you too. I deleted my previous one because it sounded odd.

Yes, it's good. Good to walk with one's own even when it makes no clear sense....