11 March 2009

Gmail and pretty backgrounds

I wonder whether gmail is behaving the same way for everyone (what with the new updated background and all)? My gmail background, which had previously been a regular blue I think, seems to be changing prettily every other day with the changing weather in Lafayette. I hadn't really paid too much attention to it earlier but over the last four days I have been noticing: in pretty pastels, the background's shown me heavy showers, lightning forks (no pastels here but visually pleasing nonetheless), light showers, grey and dark grey clouds, and showers with a suspended sunniness just beyond. Today it's showing me dense clouds with no hint of sun...and that's pretty much what the window to the world right in front of me shows as well (but I think it's going to get sunny later on in the day). One day, some days ago, it showed me mountains - but I don't think many mountains or any mountain actually came to me, although I've been wanting to visit the mountains.
Short notes:
It's 1.42 in the afternoon now. And it has gotten sunny and bright outside as I had predicted...and the gmail background indeed does show me happy blue skies surrounding a patch of sun. I have no idea what's going on. Surely "they" can't be updating my background according to the changing weather in my town. But I really think that's what is going on.
On another note I read in the morn' that Brin and Page have lost $6.5 billion what with google share prices going down. How much money is that! They've lost a third of their wealth it seems. So it would seem that they still have approximately $9 billion a piece. Good heavens. And more than a double good heavens at their age. I think I keep forgetting on purpose that I am 'round about the same age as they are....
There have been school shootings again: this time in Germany by a 17 year old. Similar pattern. Shoots some 9 school children from his old school and some 6 others (and then blows up himself or so the police suspect, since his body was found some three hours later).
Ciao for the day, I guess.

1 comment:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Does gmail really keep changing the background on its own? I've got to ask my daughter to check this out.

As for Brin and Page, all you can do is not think about such things: they are bound to make anybody unhappy! Ted Turner of CNN famously said that no man can 'need' more than $200 million (wow to that too!), so why did he take the trouble to amass $11 billion?

And regarding the school shootings, both of us know more than is good for us about all the cussed depravity in this world: why torment yourself brooding over such things?